Teaching Writing at LaGuardia

Resources for Faculty

Cross Course Assignments

Black text reading Cross Course Assignments with yellow, red, and blue paintbrush swish

Judith Nell Foster: Substitute Assignment for the Introductory Questionnaire

This assignment is a substitute for the introductory questionnaire. Judith developed it in the Language Across the Curriculum seminar last year. She originally used it in ENG099 class with good results and lively discussion. Judith says, “When I thought about teaching students I would not be meeting in person in Spring II ENG102, I thought it might be a good way to get to know them and their approach to writing. It worked well, and I think I will continue to make it the introductory assignment for any composition course I will teach when we get back to the college. It is not something I imagine would be useful as is for anyone else, but it might spark others to design some sort of introduction of their own. I have found it valuable in getting to know my students and their ways with words in the unsettlingly distant classroom we share, as well as introducing myself to them.”

Elliot Hearst: Basic In-text Citation Formatting and Works Cited Pages

Elliot says, “I distribute these to everyone and go over both sheets with the students who are in the Zoom meetings also. Those who try to get things done correctly usually come fairly close, even if rarely achieving perfection. With regard to the Works Cited, I also discuss the ways that citation tools often generate mistakes, and that I while I don’t object to their using an electronic aide, they should possess the knowledge about how the list is supposed to look so they can go in and make any necessary corrections before submitting their work.”