Teaching Writing at LaGuardia

Resources for Faculty

Fear of Writing by Irwin Leopando

|

Low-stakes Activity Part 1: Who am I as a Writer?

Respond to all four reflection questions below. Aim for 300-400 total words (around 75-100 words for each question).

This is an informal, low-pressure activity. Do not worry about mistakes in grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. Instead, concentrate your energy on getting down your ideas. Avoid stopping to correct errors. Write quickly. Keep moving forward. Aim for honesty and authenticity rather than perfection. Don’t worry about impressing me or needing to sound “smart” – just practice writing a “shitty first draft.” This might be challenging, but it will get easier with consistent practice!

You are guaranteed to receive full credit for your response so long as you are on topic, write at least 300 words, and submit it by the deadline. (Also, remember that you can rewrite this activity for full credit if necessary.)

Anything you write is confidential. I will not share it without your consent.

Reflection Questions

1. How do you feel about writing? What specific experiences have shaped these attitudes? 
  2. When are you most anxious, stressed, or fearful when writing? Have these feelings gotten in the way of getting your work done? (If you have a specific example, tell me about it.)
  3. Do you have any sense of why you feel this way about writing? Where might this fear or anxiety come from?
  4. How might you deal with these difficult feelings when they show up this semester? What concrete, specific, and realistic steps could you take?

Let me know if you have any questions about this activity. I look forward to reading your response!

Low-stakes Activity Part 2: Dealing with Fear and Discomfort

Write a response of 300-400 words to the following prompt:

In the article “The #1 Thing to Do to Set Yourself Up for a Better Year,” psychologist Michelle P. Maidenberg argues that our normal instinct to avoid uncomfortable thoughts, feelings, and situations can be harmful in the long run. Do you agree with her claim? Why or why not? Have you experienced this situation in your own studies, especially with writing assignments? How so?

Just like the previous activity, you do not have to be overly concerned with being 100% grammatically correct. Practice writing quickly, without stopping to criticize, evaluate, or edit your work. (You have my permission to write imperfectly!) In addition, I encourage you to use simple and direct language. In my view, honesty and authenticity are more valuable than a large vocabulary. TIP: Aim to finish this activity in 30 minutes or fewer. If you spend much longer, you are probably being perfectionistic.

You are guaranteed to receive full credit for your response, so long as you are on topic and fulfill the basic writing task. Also, you can revise your response for full credit if necessary

, , , , , ,

0 responses to “Fear of Writing by Irwin Leopando”